Can carbon monoxide build up in my home?
Yes. Each year, carbon monoxide kills more than 200 Americans and sends nearly 5,000 more to emergency rooms for treatment, reports the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Where does it come from? When carbon-based fuels such as gas, oil, kerosene or wood burn, they produce gases. When fuel combustion or burning isn't complete, carbon monoxide enters the air. The CPSC advises that carbon monoxide detectors are the only way to alert yourself to the presence of toxic gas in your home. If you wake in the night with a headache -- and especially if another member of the family complains of a headache or is difficult to arouse -- get out of the house fast and seek medical help. We recommend carbon monoxide detectors be installed in your home!
More Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a Hybrid Heat Dual Fuel system?
- Why should I buy Energy Star labeled equipment?
- My air conditioner is very loud when I entertain outside, what can I do?
- How can I reduce my energy costs?
- What does SEER, AFUE, and HSPF ratings mean to me?